CBC News

CBC News 22 May 2020

Political parties apply for federal wage subsidy

Description:

As political donations dry up during COVID-19, the Liberal, Conservative, New Democratic and Green parties have joined a growing list of organizations looking for federal support during the pandemic.


The federal government has launched a website and phone number where Canadians facing unemployment due to the COVID-19 crisis can apply for emergency income support benefits.

»»
The Conservative, Liberal, NDP and Green parties are all tapping the federal emergency wage subsidy. Conservative leadership candidate Erin O'Toole says he doesn't think that it's appropriate for the parties to be "bailed out by the taxpayer," and the Power Panel weighs in.
The federal government's $73-billion wage subsidy program opened for applications today but some small businesses still don't qualify.
The federal government revealed the details of its 75 per cent wage subsidy for businesses, stipulating that employers must try to pay the other 25 per cent of employees' wages.

Share Video:

Embed Video: