Officials warn of increase in cyberattacks from Iran
Officials are warning of the risk of cyberattacks from Iran following the killing of one of their top generals. Craig Timberg, a national reporter covering technology for the Washington Post, joined CBSN with what experts are saying.
With nearly 80,000 cases of the virus across 30 countries, rumors and misinformation are adding to the panic. In Ukraine, protesters sought to block a plane of 72 people returning from Wuhan, China, though the passengers had been screened twice for signs of the infection. Footage provided by the Ukrainian Presidential Press Service shows Ukrainian experts involved in the investigation of the crash site of an Ukraine International Airlines plane shot down by Iran returning to Kyiv Tuesday, January 14.
————————— The mystery coronavirus is surging across China as officials struggle to contain it, but some Beijing residents aren't panicking just yet. Noon briefing by Stéphane Dujarric, Spokesman for the Secretary-General.
- Chamber Music Society
The Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, is in Washington DC today as well as tomorrow for meetings with US officials. He will then proceed to New York, where he is going to brief the Security Council on Thursday on the situation in Yemen.
The Special Envoy is coming to the US from Riyadh, where he met with Yemeni President Mansour Hadi. He was previously in Muscat, Oman where he met with the head of the Ansar Allah delegation to the political process, Mohamed Abdul Salam.
The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs as well as the International Organization for Migration have teams on the ground near the erupting Taal volcano, some 70 kilometres south of Manila.
More than 350 volcanic earthquakes have been recorded near Taal today with more than 38,000 people having been relocated so far to over 200 evacuation centres. The UN is concerned about warnings issued by the authorities that the current volcanic activity could last days, months or even years.
UN teams are visiting evacuation centres and supporting authorities by reviewing their needs. The Government has officially requested the United Nations' support in procuring face masks.
The International Organization for Migration is reporting a sudden increase in the number of migrants leaving Libya.
More than 1,000 people have left the country by sea since January 1st.
Over 950 of them, including 136 women and 85 children, were returned to Libyan shores and taken to detention centres, mostly in Tripoli.
The migrants who spoke to IOM staff said the escalation in hostilities in and around the capital, and the deteriorating humanitarian situation were the main reasons they had attempted to leave.
IOM says the increase in departures is especially alarming given the limited search and rescue capacity in the Mediterranean. They also called, once again, for the dismantling of the detention system, and the orderly release of migrants.
Alternative solutions that safeguard lives must be found, said IOM, to alleviate the suffering of thousands of men, women, and children who are held in inhumane conditions.