Al Jazeera
Al Jazeera 7 Sep 2020

Nearly 300 Rohingya come ashore in Aceh after months at sea


Nearly 300 Rohingya have come ashore in Aceh, on the northern tip of Indonesia's Sumatra island, authorities said, in one of the biggest such landings by the persecuted Myanmar minority in years, after a months-long voyage at sea during which more than 30 refugees are thought to have died.

The group, mainly women and children, were spotted at sea by locals who helped them land near Lhokseumawe early on Monday, according to Munir Cut Ali, head of Ujong Blang village.

"We saw a boat coming ashore in Ujong Blang and so then we helped them land safely," Ali told the AFP news agency.

At least one member of the group - 102 men, 181 women and 14 children - was ill and had to be rushed to a local hospital for treatment, according to the area's military chief Roni Mahendra.

It was not immediately clear how long the Rohingya had been at sea or what type of vessel they arrived in.

Al Jazeera's Jessica Washington reports from Jakarta, Indonesia.

Public parks and beaches have reopened in Venezuela after a seven-month lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic. Residents are excited about the change, but park workers say security measures are needed to guarantee a safe return for residents.
Wallace, whose family says is bipolar, was shot by police after he allegedly approached officers with a knife. Thirty officers were injured and nearly 100 people were arrested in ensuing protests.
Turkish authorities managed to rescue a 3 year-old girl still alive despite being trapped for 91 hours in Izmir, after a powerful earthquake stroke Turkey and Greece on Friday. The disaster has killed at least 102, including 2 teenagers in the Greek island of Samos, and injuring nearly 1,000 people.
Analyst Amy Trask became a pioneer for women in sports after working with the Raiders for nearly 30 years. She explains how a "first one in, last one out" mentality was crucial for her success.

Share Video:

Embed Video: