MSNBC

MSNBC 7 Apr 2020

Lt. Gov. On Wisconsin GOP Forcing Voters To Polls Amid Pandemic

Description:

Mandela Barnes, the Lieutenant Governor of Wisconsin, on the state holding an election amid a global pandemic: "We got to this point because of a long trend of voter suppression that's been going on across the state and across the country." Aired on 04/07/2020.


Texas Governor Greg Abbott and the Lone Star State's Lt. Governor Dan Patrick provide their reaction to and analysis of the judge who sentenced a mother to jail time for reopening her Dallas based salon amid non-essential business lock-down orders, and whether the judge and court will face consequences. - with Newsmax TV's Chris Salcedo

For breaking news & expert analysis,
Top vaccine doctor Rick Bright was sidelined because he pushed back against the President's constant shilling for an untested malaria drug as the "magical" cure for coronavirus. Chris Hayes says on the corruption scale from 1 to 10, this is an 11. Aired on 04/22/2020.
California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced that all registered voters in the state will receive a mail-in ballot before the November election, but that physical polling places will also be available.
Voters in Wisconsin weighed risking their health in order to vote Tuesday, and they weren't happy about having to make the choice.

… show captions ↓
JUST UNBELIEVABLE. FRANKLY, UNBELIEVABLE SCENE
FRANKLY, UNBELIEVABLE SCENE UNFOLDING IN MILWAUKEE.
UNFOLDING IN MILWAUKEE. >>> HERE TO DISCUSS HOW THIS
>>> HERE TO DISCUSS HOW THIS ELECTION CAME TO BE, THE
ELECTION CAME TO BE, THE LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR OF WISCONSIN, WHO TWEETED THIS
WISCONSIN, WHO TWEETED THIS TODAY.
>> LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, HOW DID
>> LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR, HOW DID WE GET TO THIS POINT?
WE GET TO THIS POINT? >> WE GOT TO THIS POINT THROUGH
>> WE GOT TO THIS POINT THROUGH A LONG TREND OF VOTER
A LONG TREND OF VOTER SUPPRESSION THAT’S BEEN GOING ON
SUPPRESSION THAT’S BEEN GOING ON IN THIS STATE AND ACROSS THE
IN THIS STATE AND ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
COUNTRY. UNFORTUNATELY, THEY SAW AN
UNFORTUNATELY, THEY SAW AN OPPORTUNITY, OUR SPEAKER, OUR
OPPORTUNITY, OUR SPEAKER, OUR CONSERVATIVE OR YOU CAN JUST SAY
CONSERVATIVE OR YOU CAN JUST SAY REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED SUPREME
REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED SUPREME COURT IN THE STATE OF WISCONSIN.
COURT IN THE STATE OF WISCONSIN. AND THEY SAW AN OPPORTUNITY TO
AND THEY SAW AN OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPRESS THE VOTE HERE WITH
SUPPRESS THE VOTE HERE WITH CORONAVIRUS FEARS, WHICH THE
CORONAVIRUS FEARS, WHICH THE GOVERNOR ISSUED AN EXECUTIVE
GOVERNOR ISSUED AN EXECUTIVE ORDER TO DELAY THIS ELECTION.
ORDER TO DELAY THIS ELECTION. AND THEY IMMEDIATELY APPEALED TO
AND THEY IMMEDIATELY APPEALED TO THE SUPREME COURT TO OVERTURN
THE SUPREME COURT TO OVERTURN THAT DECISION, TO KEEP THIS IN
THAT DECISION, TO KEEP THIS IN PLACE, SO A LOW TURNOUT WOULD
PLACE, SO A LOW TURNOUT WOULD BENEFIT THE DONALD TRUMP
BENEFIT THE DONALD TRUMP ENFORCED SUPREME COURT CANDIDATE
ENFORCED SUPREME COURT CANDIDATE DAN KELLY.
DAN KELLY. IT’S UNFORTUNATE, BECAUSE
IT’S UNFORTUNATE, BECAUSE THEY’RE PLAYING POLITICS WITH
THEY’RE PLAYING POLITICS WITH PEOPLE’S LIVES.
PEOPLE’S LIVES. AS THE REPORTER ON THE GROUND
AS THE REPORTER ON THE GROUND STATED, THERE WAS TORRENTIAL
STATED, THERE WAS TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR AND HAIL, SO PEOPLE
DOWNPOUR AND HAIL, SO PEOPLE WERE BATTLING HAIL AND HIGH
WERE BATTLING HAIL AND HIGH WATER TO CAST A BALLOT, ALSO
WATER TO CAST A BALLOT, ALSO WHILE THIS EPIDEMIC IS TAKING
WHILE THIS EPIDEMIC IS TAKING PLACE.
PLACE. >> I KNOW THAT OBVIOUSLY THE
>> I KNOW THAT OBVIOUSLY THE GOVERNOR THAT YOU WORK WITH HAS
GOVERNOR THAT YOU WORK WITH HAS ISSUED THE EXECUTIVE ORDER.
ISSUED THE EXECUTIVE ORDER. HE CALLED FOR A DELAY.
HE CALLED FOR A DELAY. HE DID TAKE A WHILE TO GET
HE DID TAKE A WHILE TO GET THERE, THOUGH.
THERE, THOUGH. I WATCHED THIS WHOLE THING BUILD
I WATCHED THIS WHOLE THING BUILD UP FOR WEEKS.
UP FOR WEEKS. THREE WEEKS AGO WAS SORT OF THE
THREE WEEKS AGO WAS SORT OF THE LAST ELECTIONS WE HAD IN THIS
LAST ELECTIONS WE HAD IN THIS COUNTRY.
COUNTRY. OHIO DECIDED TO CALL IT OFF.
OHIO DECIDED TO CALL IT OFF. THREE OTHER STATES WENT AHEAD.
THREE OTHER STATES WENT AHEAD. BUT SHOULD DEMOCRATS IN THE
BUT SHOULD DEMOCRATS IN THE STATE, SHOULD THE GOVERNOR,
STATE, SHOULD THE GOVERNOR, SHOULD YOU HAVE RAISED THE
SHOULD YOU HAVE RAISED THE ALARMS EARLIER, MORE STRENUOUSLY
ALARMS EARLIER, MORE STRENUOUSLY ABOUT THIS?
ABOUT THIS? >> ALARMS WERE RAISED.
>> ALARMS WERE RAISED. I’LL TELL YOU ONE DIFFERENCE IS
I’LL TELL YOU ONE DIFFERENCE IS THAT THE OTHER STATES WERE
THAT THE OTHER STATES WERE SIMPLY HAVING THEIR PRESIDENTIAL
SIMPLY HAVING THEIR PRESIDENTIAL PREFERENCE PRIMARIES.
PREFERENCE PRIMARIES. HERE IN WISCONSIN, IT WAS THE
HERE IN WISCONSIN, IT WAS THE GENERAL ELECTION FOR MANY LOCAL
GENERAL ELECTION FOR MANY LOCAL OFFICES, AND OUR SUPREME COURT
OFFICES, AND OUR SUPREME COURT RACE.
RACE. AND OUR GOVERNOR ALSO TRIED TO
AND OUR GOVERNOR ALSO TRIED TO WORK IN GOOD FAITH WITH THE
WORK IN GOOD FAITH WITH THE LEGISLATURE.
LEGISLATURE. AGAIN, WE SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN
AGAIN, WE SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU TRY THAT ROUTE.
YOU TRY THAT ROUTE. THEY DON’T RESPOND TO WORKING IN
THEY DON’T RESPOND TO WORKING IN GOOD FAITH.
GOOD FAITH. THEY ARE ALL ABOUT MAINTAINING
THEY ARE ALL ABOUT MAINTAINING POWER HERE IN THE STATE AND
POWER HERE IN THE STATE AND ACROSS THE COUNTRY.
ACROSS THE COUNTRY. AND IN TRYING TO WORK IF GOOD
AND IN TRYING TO WORK IF GOOD FAITH WITH THOSE REPUBLICAN
FAITH WITH THOSE REPUBLICAN LEGISLATORS, IT GOT US DOWN TO
LEGISLATORS, IT GOT US DOWN TO THE WIRE.
THE WIRE. THE GOVERNOR SAW WHAT WAS GOING
THE GOVERNOR SAW WHAT WAS GOING ON IN MILWAUKEE, WHERE WE SEE
ON IN MILWAUKEE, WHERE WE SEE THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC RAVAGING
THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC RAVAGING THE NORTH SIDE, WHERE OVER HALF
THE NORTH SIDE, WHERE OVER HALF OF THE TOTAL DEATHS ACROSS OUR
OF THE TOTAL DEATHS ACROSS OUR ENTIRE STATE HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN
ENTIRE STATE HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN MILWAUKEE.
MILWAUKEE. HE DID WHAT HE HAD TO DO IN THE
HE DID WHAT HE HAD TO DO IN THE FINAL HOUR.
FINAL HOUR. IT SHOULD.
IT SHOULD. HAVE GOT ON THE THAT PLACE ANY
HAVE GOT ON THE THAT PLACE ANY WAY.
WAY. THE REPUBLICANS AND LEGISLATURE
THE REPUBLICANS AND LEGISLATURE FAILED TO CONVENE, THEY HAVEN’T
FAILED TO CONVENE, THEY HAVEN’T MET.
MET. >> HOW COULD THERE BE ANY, ANY
>> HOW COULD THERE BE ANY, ANY DEMOCRATIC LEGITIMACY TO THE
DEMOCRATIC LEGITIMACY TO THE OUTCOME OF THIS ELECTION, NO
OUTCOME OF THIS ELECTION, NO MATTER WHO WINS, WHETHER THE
MATTER WHO WINS, WHETHER THE DEMOCRATIC CHALLENGER OR THE
DEMOCRATIC CHALLENGER OR THE REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT, HOW COULD
REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT, HOW COULD ANYONE VIEW THIS AS A LEGITIMATE
ANYONE VIEW THIS AS A LEGITIMATE ELECTION?
ELECTION? >> THERE’S ABSOLUTELY -- PEOPLE
>> THERE’S ABSOLUTELY -- PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THINK ABOUT THIS
ARE GOING TO THINK ABOUT THIS ELECTION AND CHALLENGE ANY
ELECTION AND CHALLENGE ANY OUTCOME.
OUTCOME. WE SHOULD EXPECT LAWSUITS TO
WE SHOULD EXPECT LAWSUITS TO COME IN THE COMING WEEKS AND
COME IN THE COMING WEEKS AND MONTHS.
MONTHS. AND IT’S UNFORTUNATE.
AND IT’S UNFORTUNATE. IT’S A MISCARRIAGE OF DEMOCRACY.
IT’S A MISCARRIAGE OF DEMOCRACY. IT DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY.
IT DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THIS WAY. WHEN THE GOVERNOR DECIDED TO
WHEN THE GOVERNOR DECIDED TO MOVE, REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG IT
MOVE, REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG IT TOOK, WHEN THE GOVERNOR DECIDED
TOOK, WHEN THE GOVERNOR DECIDED TO DELAY THIS ELECTION, IT’S A
TO DELAY THIS ELECTION, IT’S A SHAME THAT THEY DECIDED THAT
SHAME THAT THEY DECIDED THAT CHAOS WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION.
CHAOS WOULD BE THE BEST OPTION. NOW YOU SEE THESE LONG LINES OF
NOW YOU SEE THESE LONG LINES OF PEOPLE GOING THROUGH LEAPS AND
PEOPLE GOING THROUGH LEAPS AND BOUNDS, GOING OVER HURDLES THAT
BOUNDS, GOING OVER HURDLES THAT THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DOTHE TO
THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DOTHE TO CAST A BALLOT.
CAST A BALLOT. PEOPLE HAVE FOUKT AND DIED FOR
PEOPLE HAVE FOUKT AND DIED FOR THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND NOW PEOPLE
THE RIGHT TO VOTE AND NOW PEOPLE ARE PUTTING THEIR LIVES TO CAST
ARE PUTTING THEIR LIVES TO CAST A BALLOT.
A BALLOT. I CAN’T TELL PEOPLE TO VOTE,
I CAN’T TELL PEOPLE TO VOTE, BECAUSE IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE
BECAUSE IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE THE RESPONSIBLE THING TO DO.
THE RESPONSIBLE THING TO DO. THAT IS THE POSITION THAT
THAT IS THE POSITION THAT REPUBLICANS IN THE LEGISLATURE
REPUBLICANS IN THE LEGISLATURE HAVE US IN.
HAVE US IN. THEY THRIVE OFF OF CHAOS.
THEY THRIVE OFF OF CHAOS. LOOK WHO THEIR PRESIDENT IS.
LOOK WHO THEIR PRESIDENT IS. THIS IS THEIR M.O.
THIS IS THEIR M.O. I DON’T KNOW HOW LONG WE CAN GO
I DON’T KNOW HOW LONG WE CAN GO THIS WAY.
THIS WAY. BUT I HOPE PEOPLE DON’T FORGET
BUT I HOPE PEOPLE DON’T FORGET THIS IN NOVEMBER.
THIS IN NOVEMBER. >> THE PRESIDENT HAS ENDORSED
>> THE PRESIDENT HAS ENDORSED MULTIPLE TIMES MR. KELLY, THE
MULTIPLE TIMES MR. KELLY, THE REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT HERE.
REPUBLICAN INCUMBENT HERE. WHAT DO YOU SAY TO PEOPLE THAT
WHAT DO YOU SAY TO PEOPLE THAT ARE WATCHING THIS AND SAYING TO
ARE WATCHING THIS AND SAYING TO THEMSELVES, ALL THIS OVER A
THEMSELVES, ALL THIS OVER A STATE SUPREME COURT SEAT?
STATE SUPREME COURT SEAT? LIKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE
LIKE WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE?
PEOPLE? WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT?
WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT? WHY IS THIS ELECTION SO
WHY IS THIS ELECTION SO IMPORTANT TO THE REPUBLICANS IN
IMPORTANT TO THE REPUBLICANS IN YOUR STATE?
YOUR STATE? >> COURTS MATTER.
>> COURTS MATTER. DONALD TRUMP HAS SPENT SO MUCH
DONALD TRUMP HAS SPENT SO MUCH TIME BUILDING THE JUDICIAL
TIME BUILDING THE JUDICIAL BENCH, THE FEDERAL BENCH.
BENCH, THE FEDERAL BENCH. AND IF THERE’S AN OPPORTUNITY
AND IF THERE’S AN OPPORTUNITY FOR THEM TO KEEP A SUPREME COURT
FOR THEM TO KEEP A SUPREME COURT IN ANY STATE UNDER THEIR
IN ANY STATE UNDER THEIR CONTROL, THEY’RE GOING TO TAKE
CONTROL, THEY’RE GOING TO TAKE EVERY ADVANTAGE.
EVERY ADVANTAGE. I THINK THE DECISIONS WE SAW
I THINK THE DECISIONS WE SAW FROM THE STATE SUPREME COURT AND
FROM THE STATE SUPREME COURT AND THE U.S. SUPREME COURT SHOW US
THE U.S. SUPREME COURT SHOW US THE URGENCY AND SHOW US HOW
THE URGENCY AND SHOW US HOW IMPORTANT THE COURTS ARE IN THIS
IMPORTANT THE COURTS ARE IN THIS SYSTEM.
SYSTEM. AND IT’S EASY FOR PEOPLE TO
AND IT’S EASY FOR PEOPLE TO FORGET ABOUT THE JUDICIAL
FORGET ABOUT THE JUDICIAL BRANCH.
BRANCH. I GET IT, BECAUSE THEY’RE NOT
I GET IT, BECAUSE THEY’RE NOT THE ONES WHO ARE OUT THERE ON TV
THE ONES WHO ARE OUT THERE ON TV DOING THE PRESS CONFERENCES,
DOING THE PRESS CONFERENCES, ISSUING PRESS RELEASES.
ISSUING PRESS RELEASES. THEIR WORK IS MOSTLY QUIET FOR
THEIR WORK IS MOSTLY QUIET FOR THE MOST PART.
THE MOST PART. BUT THE FACT IS, WE SEE HOW
BUT THE FACT IS, WE SEE HOW THEIR DECISIONS IMPACT LIVES.
THEIR DECISIONS IMPACT LIVES. WE SEE HOW DECISIONS, WHEN IT
WE SEE HOW DECISIONS, WHEN IT COMES TO WOMEN’S HEALTH, WE SEE
COMES TO WOMEN’S HEALTH, WE SEE DECISIONS WHEN IT COMES TO
DECISIONS WHEN IT COMES TO OVERALL HEALTH CARE, SO IT’S
OVERALL HEALTH CARE, SO IT’S IMPORTANT FOR US TO WAKE UP AND
IMPORTANT FOR US TO WAKE UP AND UNDERSTAND AND REALIZE THE
UNDERSTAND AND REALIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF JUDICIAL ELECTIONS
IMPORTANCE OF JUDICIAL ELECTIONS AND STEP UP WITH THE SAME ENERGY
AND STEP UP WITH THE SAME ENERGY THAT THEY APPROACH THESE
THAT THEY APPROACH THESE ELECTIONS WITH.
ELECTIONS WITH. THEY ARE VERY UP ABASHED WHEN IT
THEY ARE VERY UP ABASHED WHEN IT COMES TO SUPPORTING JUDICIAL
COMES TO SUPPORTING JUDICIAL NOMINEES.
NOMINEES. DEMOCRATS NEED TO FIGHT WITH THE
DEMOCRATS NEED TO FIGHT WITH THE SAME VIGOR.
SAME VIGOR. WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE’RE NOT
WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE’RE NOT GOING TO LET THE COURTS FALL
GOING TO LET THE COURTS FALL INTO VERY REGRESSIVE HANDS,
INTO VERY REGRESSIVE HANDS, THOSE THAT WANT TO TAKE US BACK
THOSE THAT WANT TO TAKE US BACK CENTURIES IN TERMS OF VOTING
CENTURIES IN TERMS OF VOTING RIGHTS, IN TERMS OF SOCIAL
RIGHTS, IN TERMS OF SOCIAL JUSTICE AS FAR AS EQUALITY, AND
JUSTICE AS FAR AS EQUALITY, AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON.
THE LIST GOES ON AND ON AND ON. >> ALL RIGHT.
>> ALL RIGHT. LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR MANDELA
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR MANDELA BARNES OF WISCONSIN, ON THIS

Share Video:

Embed Video: