Fox Business Network

Fox Business Network 21 Feb 2020

Huawei exec weighs in on major issues between US, China

Description:

Huawei Chief Security Officer Andy Purdy criticizes the U.S.' decision to file new charges against Huawei due to alleged racketeering and the theft of trade secrets. #FoxBusiness


Former Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker weighs in on McCabe probe, Trump's tweets on AG Barr, and Michael Avenatti guilty sentence. #FoxNews

FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC),
Speaker Pelosi's daughter Christine Pelosi addresses State of the Union controversy. #FoxNews

FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC),
Lawmakers hold briefing on shortages of testing kits and medical supplies; Dr. Seema Verma weighs in. #FoxNews

FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC),
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer calls for IG investigation into the Department of Justice's decision to reduce Roger Stone's recommended sentence; Former Acting U.S. Attorney General Matt Whitaker weighs in. #FoxNews

FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC),

… show captions ↓
THAT WILL INCLUDE ALL OF OUR GUYS.
GUYS. LIZ: ALL OF OUR GUYS EXCEPT ONE.
LIZ: ALL OF OUR GUYS EXCEPT ONE. CHINESE TELECOM GIANT HUAWEI.
CHINESE TELECOM GIANT HUAWEI. TODAY’S SNUB COMES AS THE U.S.
TODAY’S SNUB COMES AS THE U.S. RUSHES TO BUILD OUT ITS OWN 5G
RUSHES TO BUILD OUT ITS OWN 5G NETWORK AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE
NETWORK AS CHEAPLY AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE LEADER
WITHOUT THE HELP OF THE LEADER IN THE RACE TO 5G AND A TOP
IN THE RACE TO 5G AND A TOP TARGET ON THE ADMINISTRATION’S
TARGET ON THE ADMINISTRATION’S SUSPECTED SPY LIST.
SUSPECTED SPY LIST. IF YOU’RE WONDERING WHAT HUAWEI
IF YOU’RE WONDERING WHAT HUAWEI MUST THINK ABOUT ALL OF THIS,
MUST THINK ABOUT ALL OF THIS, WONDER NO MORE.
WONDER NO MORE. JOINING US LIVE, HUAWEI’S CHIEF
JOINING US LIVE, HUAWEI’S CHIEF SECURITY OFFICER, ANDY PURDY.
SECURITY OFFICER, ANDY PURDY. WELCOME TO THE SHOW.
WELCOME TO THE SHOW. THANKS FOR COMING ON.
THANKS FOR COMING ON. >> MY PLEASURE.
>> MY PLEASURE. LIZ: YOU SURPRISED YOU DIDN’T
LIZ: YOU SURPRISED YOU DIDN’T GET AN INVITE?
GET AN INVITE? >> THERE’S ONE INVITATION WE
>> THERE’S ONE INVITATION WE WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE.
WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE. THAT WOULD BE AN INVITATION FOR
THAT WOULD BE AN INVITATION FOR A TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE IN THE
A TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE IN THE UNITED STATES.
UNITED STATES. LIZ: MEANING?
LIZ: MEANING? >> LET’S HAVE OPEN COMPETITION
>> LET’S HAVE OPEN COMPETITION SO WE CAN SEE THE FACTS OF WHICH
SO WE CAN SEE THE FACTS OF WHICH EQUIPMENT’S BETTER AND LET’S
EQUIPMENT’S BETTER AND LET’S HAVE CLOSED DOOR SESSIONS WHERE
HAVE CLOSED DOOR SESSIONS WHERE EACH TELECOM EQUIPMENT PROVIDER
EACH TELECOM EQUIPMENT PROVIDER COMES IN AND ANSWERS TOUGH
COMES IN AND ANSWERS TOUGH QUESTIONS FROM GOVERNMENT AND
QUESTIONS FROM GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERTS ABOUT
PRIVATE SECTOR EXPERTS ABOUT WHAT WE’RE DOING FOR ASSURANCE
WHAT WE’RE DOING FOR ASSURANCE AND TRANSPARENCY.
AND TRANSPARENCY. THAT KIND OF TRANSPARENCY
THAT KIND OF TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE WOULD HELP MAKE
INITIATIVE WOULD HELP MAKE AMERICA GREATER.
AMERICA GREATER. LIZ: WELL, I LIKE THAT.
LIZ: WELL, I LIKE THAT. THAT’S A GREAT SPEECH THAT YOU
THAT’S A GREAT SPEECH THAT YOU JUST OPENED UP WITH, BUT
JUST OPENED UP WITH, BUT PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS DEEMED YOU
PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS DEEMED YOU GUYS, HUAWEI, A SECURITY THREAT.
GUYS, HUAWEI, A SECURITY THREAT. HOW DO YOU VOW THISIEW THIS 5G M
HOW DO YOU VOW THISIEW THIS 5G M WHEN YOUR COMPANY IS EXCLUDED
WHEN YOUR COMPANY IS EXCLUDED AND YOU KNOW WHY, BECAUSE THE
AND YOU KNOW WHY, BECAUSE THE PRESIDENT FEELS THERE ARE ALL
PRESIDENT FEELS THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF BACK DOORS WITHIN THE
KINDS OF BACK DOORS WITHIN THE HUAWEI EQUIPMENT AND NATIONAL
HUAWEI EQUIPMENT AND NATIONAL SECURITY PEOPLE DO, TOO?
SECURITY PEOPLE DO, TOO? >> I THINK THE POSITION OF THE
>> I THINK THE POSITION OF THE UNITED STATES HAS BEEN THEY’RE
UNITED STATES HAS BEEN THEY’RE AFRAID THAT IN THE FUTURE HUAWEI
AFRAID THAT IN THE FUTURE HUAWEI WOULD BE FORCED BOYY THE CHINA
WOULD BE FORCED BOYY THE CHINA GOVERNMENT TO IMPLANT BACK
GOVERNMENT TO IMPLANT BACK DOORS.
DOORS. THIS IS ALL PART OF THE
THIS IS ALL PART OF THE GEOPOLITICAL COMPETITION BETWEEN
GEOPOLITICAL COMPETITION BETWEEN THE U.S. AND CHINA AND
THE U.S. AND CHINA AND UNFORTUNATELY, THE U.S. RESIDENT
UNFORTUNATELY, THE U.S. RESIDENT EMPHASIZING THE NEED FOR
EMPHASIZING THE NEED FOR TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIAL POLICY IS
TECHNOLOGY INDUSTRIAL POLICY IS INSTEAD TRYING TO HURT CHINA BY
INSTEAD TRYING TO HURT CHINA BY HURTING HUAWEI AND WERE NOT
HURTING HUAWEI AND WERE NOT THINKING ABOUT THE NEGATIVE
THINKING ABOUT THE NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES TO TENS OF
CONSEQUENCES TO TENS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN JOBS.
THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN JOBS. LIZ: LET ME ASK YOU POINT-BLANK,
LIZ: LET ME ASK YOU POINT-BLANK, HAS HUAWEI EVER GATHERED SECRET
HAS HUAWEI EVER GATHERED SECRET OR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION ON
OR PROPRIETARY INFORMATION ON THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR U.S.
THE U.S. GOVERNMENT OR U.S. COMPANIES THAT IT OBTAINED OR
COMPANIES THAT IT OBTAINED OR DERIVED FROM ELECTRONIC
DERIVED FROM ELECTRONIC SURVEILLANCE OR SO-CALLED BACK
SURVEILLANCE OR SO-CALLED BACK DOORS BUILT INTO HUAWEI
DOORS BUILT INTO HUAWEI EQUIPMENT?
EQUIPMENT? >> NO.
>> NO. WE HAVE NOT.
WE HAVE NOT. AND IN FACT, ONE PART OF THE
AND IN FACT, ONE PART OF THE TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE THIS
TRANSPARENCY INITIATIVE THIS COUNTRY NEEDS IS TO HAVE GREATER
COUNTRY NEEDS IS TO HAVE GREATER VISIBILITY ON EVERYBODY WHO HAS
VISIBILITY ON EVERYBODY WHO HAS ACCESS TO TELECOM AND MOBILE
ACCESS TO TELECOM AND MOBILE OPERATOR NETWORKS.
OPERATOR NETWORKS. WE HAVE SPECIAL PROVISIONS TO
WE HAVE SPECIAL PROVISIONS TO MAKE SURE THAT ONLY AFTER
MAKE SURE THAT ONLY AFTER WRITTEN PERMISSION AND ONLY WITH
WRITTEN PERMISSION AND ONLY WITH EVERY KEYSTROKE OF THE COMPUTER
EVERY KEYSTROKE OF THE COMPUTER LOGIN RECORDED SO THERE’S
LOGIN RECORDED SO THERE’S COMPLETE VISIBILITY OF WHAT WE
COMPLETE VISIBILITY OF WHAT WE ACCESS, WHEN, AND WHAT’S DONE
ACCESS, WHEN, AND WHAT’S DONE WITH IT.
WITH IT. THAT KIND OF TRANSPARENCY, THAT
THAT KIND OF TRANSPARENCY, THAT KIND OF ASSURANCE IS WHAT ALL
KIND OF ASSURANCE IS WHAT ALL COMPANIES NEED TO PROVIDE SO WE
COMPANIES NEED TO PROVIDE SO WE CAN PROVE WE’RE NOT SUBJECT TO
CAN PROVE WE’RE NOT SUBJECT TO UNDUE INFLUENCE OF THE CHINA
UNDUE INFLUENCE OF THE CHINA GOVERNMENT TO TURN OVER DATA.
GOVERNMENT TO TURN OVER DATA. WE CAN’T TURN OVER DATA WE DON’T
WE CAN’T TURN OVER DATA WE DON’T HAVE.
HAVE. LIZ: WELL, ONE THING IS THAT THE
LIZ: WELL, ONE THING IS THAT THE UNITED STATES HAS SAID IT HAS
UNITED STATES HAS SAID IT HAS EVIDENCE THAT HUAWEI HAS BEEN
EVIDENCE THAT HUAWEI HAS BEEN USING ITS EQUIPMENT TO DO SECRET
USING ITS EQUIPMENT TO DO SECRET SURVEILLANCE.
SURVEILLANCE. NOW, THERE HAS BEEN NO EVIDENCE
NOW, THERE HAS BEEN NO EVIDENCE THAT HAS BEEN PUT OUT THERE, IS
THAT HAS BEEN PUT OUT THERE, IS THAT CORRECT?
THAT CORRECT? WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THAT.
WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THAT. THEY WOULD SAY IT IS TOP SECRET
THEY WOULD SAY IT IS TOP SECRET AND WE CAN’T PUT IT OUT AT THE
AND WE CAN’T PUT IT OUT AT THE MOMENT.
MOMENT. >> ACTUALLY, I HAVE NEVER REALLY
>> ACTUALLY, I HAVE NEVER REALLY HEARD THAT ALLEGATION, BUT
HEARD THAT ALLEGATION, BUT RECENTLY, THEY HAVE SAID THAT WE
RECENTLY, THEY HAVE SAID THAT WE CREATED SOME CAPABILITY THAT IS
CREATED SOME CAPABILITY THAT IS ACTUALLY CONTROLLED BY THE
ACTUALLY CONTROLLED BY THE TELECOM AND MOBILE OPERATORS TO
TELECOM AND MOBILE OPERATORS TO BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS.
BE ABLE TO GET ACCESS. THERE’S NO EVIDENCE OF THAT.
THERE’S NO EVIDENCE OF THAT. THEY ALLEGEDLY DECLASSIFIED THE
THEY ALLEGEDLY DECLASSIFIED THE INFORMATION.
INFORMATION. THEY HAVE ALLEGEDLY GIVEN IT TO
THEY HAVE ALLEGEDLY GIVEN IT TO THE UK AND OTHER COUNTRIES IN
THE UK AND OTHER COUNTRIES IN EUROPE.
EUROPE. AND BASICALLY, THE QUESTION IS
AND BASICALLY, THE QUESTION IS WHERE’S THE BEEF?
WHERE’S THE BEEF? IF IT’S UNCLASSIFIED, TURN IT
IF IT’S UNCLASSIFIED, TURN IT OVER.
OVER. LIZ: WOULD YOU SAY THIS IS ALL
LIZ: WOULD YOU SAY THIS IS ALL JUST POLITICAL THEN, FROM WHERE
JUST POLITICAL THEN, FROM WHERE YOU SIT?
YOU SIT? >> I THINK THERE’S A
>> I THINK THERE’S A GEOPOLITICAL ISSUE BETWEEN THE
GEOPOLITICAL ISSUE BETWEEN THE U.S. AND CHINA.
U.S. AND CHINA. FOR YEARS THE U.S. HAS BEEN
FOR YEARS THE U.S. HAS BEEN UNHAPPY WITH WHAT CHINA HAS BEEN
UNHAPPY WITH WHAT CHINA HAS BEEN DOING, SO BECAUSE OF THIS,
DOING, SO BECAUSE OF THIS, THERE’S A BIPARTISAN EFFORT TO
THERE’S A BIPARTISAN EFFORT TO SAY ENOUGH, CHINA, WE HAVE HAD
SAY ENOUGH, CHINA, WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH, SO I THINK THE U.S. IS
ENOUGH, SO I THINK THE U.S. IS BENDING OVER BACKWARDS AND
BENDING OVER BACKWARDS AND TAKING THE CHANCE OF HURTING
TAKING THE CHANCE OF HURTING AMERICANS MORE THAN HUAWEI IN
AMERICANS MORE THAN HUAWEI IN THEIR EFFORT TO FIGHT AGAINST
THEIR EFFORT TO FIGHT AGAINST CHINA.
CHINA. SO THAT’S THE CONTEXT THAT’S
SO THAT’S THE CONTEXT THAT’S AFFECTING EVERYTHING.
AFFECTING EVERYTHING. LIZ: EARLIER THIS WEEK, THE
LIZ: EARLIER THIS WEEK, THE FEDERAL JUDGE WAS LOOKING AT
FEDERAL JUDGE WAS LOOKING AT THIS ONE LAWSUIT THAT HUAWEI HAD
THIS ONE LAWSUIT THAT HUAWEI HAD FILED, BASICALLY YOU GUYS WERE
FILED, BASICALLY YOU GUYS WERE CHALLENGING THE FEDERAL BAN OF
CHALLENGING THE FEDERAL BAN OF THE COMPANY.
THE COMPANY. THE JUDGE THREW IT OUT SAYING
THE JUDGE THREW IT OUT SAYING YOU KNOW WHAT, CONGRESS HAS THE
YOU KNOW WHAT, CONGRESS HAS THE RIGHT TO BAN ANY OUTSIDE
RIGHT TO BAN ANY OUTSIDE CONTRACTOR THAT IT DOESN’T WANT
CONTRACTOR THAT IT DOESN’T WANT DOING THE WORK.
DOING THE WORK. SO MAYBE THIS JUST COMES DOWN TO
SO MAYBE THIS JUST COMES DOWN TO YEAH, WE’RE NOT PICKING YOU GUYS
YEAH, WE’RE NOT PICKING YOU GUYS EVEN THOUGH, OF COURSE, YOU HAVE
EVEN THOUGH, OF COURSE, YOU HAVE HUGE SMARTPHONE MARKET SHARE,
HUGE SMARTPHONE MARKET SHARE, YOU’RE TOP GLOBALLY WHEN IT
YOU’RE TOP GLOBALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CHINA.
COMES TO CHINA. YOU’RE ONLY BEATEN OUT BY
YOU’RE ONLY BEATEN OUT BY SAMSUNG WHO HAS 22%.
SAMSUNG WHO HAS 22%. YOU GUYS HAVE 18%.
YOU GUYS HAVE 18%. FOLLOWED BY APPLE WITH 14%.
FOLLOWED BY APPLE WITH 14%. >> I’M REMINDED OF PRESIDENT
>> I’M REMINDED OF PRESIDENT TRUMP’S CRITICISM OF SPEAKER
TRUMP’S CRITICISM OF SPEAKER PELOSI AND SENATOR ADAM SCHIFF
PELOSI AND SENATOR ADAM SCHIFF IN TRYING TO GIVE MERE
IN TRYING TO GIVE MERE ALLEGATIONS THAT HE HAS
ALLEGATIONS THAT HE HAS COMMITTED WRONGDOING, BASICALLY
COMMITTED WRONGDOING, BASICALLY SAYING THE END IS JUSTIFYING THE
SAYING THE END IS JUSTIFYING THE MEANS AND NO EVIDENCE IS
MEANS AND NO EVIDENCE IS NECESSARY.
NECESSARY. THAT’S WHAT WE BELIEVE THE
THAT’S WHAT WE BELIEVE THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION HAS DONE.
COMMISSION HAS DONE. THAT’S WHAT THE U.S. GOVERNMENT
THAT’S WHAT THE U.S. GOVERNMENT IS DOING.
IS DOING. THEY ASSUME THAT WE ARE BAD
THEY ASSUME THAT WE ARE BAD BECAUSE WE ARE HEADQUARTERED IN
BECAUSE WE ARE HEADQUARTERED IN CHINA.
CHINA. IN FACT, THAT’S OUR BIGGEST
IN FACT, THAT’S OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM.
PROBLEM. AND THEY WILL NOT LOOK AT
AND THEY WILL NOT LOOK AT OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE TO MAKE SURE
OBJECTIVE EVIDENCE TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE ARE LIMITATIONS THAT
THAT THERE ARE LIMITATIONS THAT PROTECT THE BENEFITS OF
PROTECT THE BENEFITS OF TECHNOLOGY WITHOUT HURTING
TECHNOLOGY WITHOUT HURTING AMERICANS AND I HOPE WE CAN HAVE
AMERICANS AND I HOPE WE CAN HAVE MORE SENSIBLE CONVERSATIONS AND
MORE SENSIBLE CONVERSATIONS AND SOME STATEMENTS BY THE
SOME STATEMENTS BY THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE TO
DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE TO INDICATE THAT MAYBE WE CAN START
INDICATE THAT MAYBE WE CAN START THINKING ABOUT THE IMPACT, FOR
THINKING ABOUT THE IMPACT, FOR EXAMPLE, ON TENS OF THOUSANDS OF
EXAMPLE, ON TENS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICAN JOBS, IF AMERICAN
AMERICAN JOBS, IF AMERICAN COMPANIES CANNOT SELL TO HUAWEI.
COMPANIES CANNOT SELL TO HUAWEI. IN FACT, PRESIDENT TRUMP TWEETED
IN FACT, PRESIDENT TRUMP TWEETED TODAY THAT AMERICA IS OPEN FOR
TODAY THAT AMERICA IS OPEN FOR BUSINESS.
BUSINESS. HOPEFULLY THAT’S GOING TO BE
HOPEFULLY THAT’S GOING TO BE TRUE.
TRUE. LIZ: ANDY PURDY OF HUAWEI AND
LIZ: ANDY PURDY OF HUAWEI AND WORKED AT THE HOMELAND SECURITY
WORKED AT THE HOMELAND SECURITY DEPARTMENT, IT’S A PLEASURE TO
DEPARTMENT, IT’S A PLEASURE TO HAVE YOU ON THE SHOW.
HAVE YOU ON THE SHOW. WE AFFORD EVERYBODY
WE AFFORD EVERYBODY OPPORTUNITIES TO GIVE THEIR

Share Video:

Embed Video: