Federal Prosecutors Begin Filing Criminal Charges Against Pro-Trump D.C. Rioters
NBC News' Tom Winter details charges being filed by federal prosecutors on rioters arrested during Capitol breach.
charges against some of the rioters who stormed the Capitol last week, the top federal prosecutor for Washington, D.C., said Tuesday.
Michael Sherwin, the acting U.S. attorney for D.C., said in a press conference that he has assembled a team of national security attorneys to explore some of the harshest charges his office could pursue in the wake of the riot that overran the Capitol and left five people dead Wednesday.
"Just yesterday, our office organized a strike force of very senior national security prosecutors and public corruption prosecutors," Sherwin told reporters. "Their only marching orders from me are to build seditious and conspiracy charges related to the most heinous acts that occurred in the Capitol."
Sedition charges can carry prison sentences of up to 20 years.
Sherwin said Tuesday that prosecutors have now charged more than 70 cases following the riot and the FBI has opened investigations into more than 170 people.
Most of the demonstrators who have been arrested and charged over the past few days are facing counts ranging from trespassing to weapons charges to assaulting a police officer. But Sherwin stressed that his office is looking to add the most serious charges that it can for certain defendants.
You can Scenes of violence and chaos at the U.S. Capitol shocked America and the world on Wednesday, when a mob of pro-Trump protesters, some of them armed, forced their way into the building, ransacking the offices of lawmakers who fled for their lives. Larry Cosme, national president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, joins Anne-Marie Green on "CBSN AM" to break down the failure of crowd control and law enforcement that disrupted American democracy. A Wisconsin prosecutor announced Tuesday that he will not file criminal charges against a white police officer who shot a Black man in the back in Kenosha last summer, leaving him paralyzed and setting off sometimes violent protests in the city. (Jan. 5) Attorney General Bill Barr announces new criminal charges against a suspect in the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.