BBC News
BBC News 16 Jun 2020

Beijing back in lockdown as city faces new surge of coronavirus cases

Description:

Beijing is re-imposing restrictions in many parts of the city in response to a new cluster of covid cases. As other countries emerge from months of lockdown the new outbreak is a reminder of how difficult the road to recovery could be.

Questions are still being asked about China's early handling of the outbreak. The first case of Covid-19 appeared in the city of Wuhan, probably at the start of December last year.

At the end of that month China reported cases of a pneumonia-type illness to the World Health Organisation. Some three weeks later Wuhan and neighbouring cities were placed in lockdown, which would last for 76 days.

In total there were nearly 4,000 deaths and over 50,000 infections in Wuhan.

Huw Edwards presents BBC News at Ten reporting from China Correspondent John Sudworth, who has returned to Wuhan to see how the city and China are dealing with the aftermath of the pandemic.


Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation's top infectious disease expert, says he spoke with President Trump on Thursday for the first time since June 2. CBS News' Natalie Brand has the latest.
Millions of people in China's capital Beijing are living under renewed restrictions, as a surge in coronavirus cases leads to fears of a second wave of the disease. Around the world new cases are still rising sharply.

The pandemic is thought to have originated on the 1st of December 2019 when a man in Wuhan was taken ill and later identified as a victim of Covid-19. It was widely reported that the virus had originated in a market where live animals are sold for human consumption.

But rational debate about the origins of the virus has been made more difficult by a propaganda war between the US and China, with each country accusing the other of being the source.

Huw Edwards presents BBC News at Ten reporting from John Sudwoth, who has returned to Wuhan to look at the latest evidence about the origins of coronavirus.
New York City entered the third phase of reopening, which allows tattoo parlors, nail salons, and spas at half capacity. Yet restaurants are still not allowed to seat for indoor dining. NBC News' Gabe Gutierrez explains the impact the virus is having on the city's restaurants.
California is shutting down again as it reported the largest number of coronavirus cases in the US.

Total cases in the most populous state rose by 12,112 on Wednesday to a total of more than 421,000, the biggest single-day increase since the pandemic began.

In response, California's Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom said bars will close and indoor operations will stop at restaurants, cinemas, zoos and museums.

Share Video:

Embed Video: