At least 110 farmers dead in Nigeria after suspected jihadist attack
At least 110 people were killed in a weekend attack on farm workers in northeast Nigeria blamed on jihadists, the UN humanitarian coordinator in the country said on Sunday, making it the deadliest raid on civilians this year.
Militants killed at least 110 farm workers in rice fields near the northeastern Nigerian city of Maiduguri on Saturday, news agencies and Nigerian media reported. The attack, which injured six other people, took place in the village of Koshobe in Nigeria's restive Borno state. A local anti-jihadist militia told news agency AFP that the fighters tied up the farmworkers and slit their throats. Although no group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, the local anti-jihadist militia said Boko Haram was likely behind the killings.
he incident comes a month after Boko Haram fighters killed 22 farmers working on their irrigation fields near Maiduguri in two separate incidents. Boko Haram and ISWAP — its "Islamic State"-linked rival which is also active in the region — have increasingly targeted loggers, herders and fishermen, accusing them of spying and passing information to the military and the local militia. Saturday's attack took place as people voted in local elections in Borno state. The elections had been postponed repeatedly because of the increasing attacks. The UN says at least 110 civilians have been killed and many injured in attacks on two villages in northeast Nigeria.
No one has claimed responsibility for the attack. but the armed group Boko Haram has carried out a series of deadly assaults in the area in recent years.
Security forces are looking for dozens more villagers who are missing, many of them women.
It is the worst attack on civilians in Borno state this year.
President Muhammadu Buhari claimed five years ago that Boko Haram had been defeated.
Al Jazeera's Ahmed Idris reports from the Nigerian capital Abuja. The United Nations says at least 110 civilians have been killed and many more injured in an attack in Nigeria's northeast.
Funerals have been held for some of the dozens of farm workers killed while working in rice fields.
Local officials blame Boko Haram fighters for the violence.
Several others are thought to have been kidnapped - the UN is calling for their immediate release.
Nearly 2.5 million people been displaced by more than a decade of violence in the region. Intense rains and hail led to flash floods in Sucre, the constitutional capital of Bolivia on Monday, January 4.
Video shows flooding along the Guillermo Loayza, a street close to the Mercado Campesino, the city's largest market.
At least four were killed in the flash flood, police said, which occurred after torrential rain and hail hit the city. Local media reported that the storm lasted about 30 minutes.