NBC News

NBC News 12 Feb 2020

Actor Jussie Smollett Faces New Charges In Connection With Chicago Attack

Description:

Actor Jussie Smollett is facing new charges in connection with a 2019 Chicago attack where he claims he was a hate crime victim. NBC News' Danny Cevallos reports on what kind of evidence the new indictment is based.


Actor Jussie Smollett is back in court Monday on a new set of charges accusing him of lying to Chicago police about being the victim of a racist and homophobic attack last year. (Feb. 24)
Former "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett pleaded not guilty Monday to restored charges that accuse him of staging a racist, homophobic attack against himself last year in Chicago. His attorneys are also seeking to have the case dismissed. (Feb. 24)
Disgraced actor Jussie Smollett has lost his fight with an Illinois court over the status of felony charges against him. One America's Mary Holman has the latest.
Prosecutors indict Jussie Smollett on 6 felony counts for alleged claims he was targeted in a hate crime; Fox News' Jeff Paul reports.

FOX News operates the FOX News Channel (FNC),

… show captions ↓
AND THE DANGER IS IF OUR POLITICS GROW TOO TROUBLE, THEN
POLITICS GROW TOO TROUBLE, THEN WE’LL LOSE OUR WAY.
WE’LL LOSE OUR WAY. >>> ACTOR JUSSIE SMOLLETT, THIS
>>> ACTOR JUSSIE SMOLLETT, THIS GOES BACK TO JANUARY OF 2019
GOES BACK TO JANUARY OF 2019 WHEN THE ACTOR FILED A POLICE
WHEN THE ACTOR FILED A POLICE REPORT SAYING TWO MEN ATTACKED
REPORT SAYING TWO MEN ATTACKED HIM AND PUT A NOOSE AROUND HIS
HIM AND PUT A NOOSE AROUND HIS NECK.
NECK. NOW THEY SAY HE PAID TWO MEN
NOW THEY SAY HE PAID TWO MEN FROM HIS SHOW TO STAGE THE
FROM HIS SHOW TO STAGE THE ASSAULT FOR PUBLICITY.
ASSAULT FOR PUBLICITY. NBC LEGAL ANALYST AND CRIMINAL
NBC LEGAL ANALYST AND CRIMINAL DEFENSE ATTORNEY DANNY SAVALAS
DEFENSE ATTORNEY DANNY SAVALAS IS HERE WITH ME NOW.
IS HERE WITH ME NOW. THIS IS A FASCINATING CASE.
THIS IS A FASCINATING CASE. HE WAS FIRST INDICTED LAST MARCH
HE WAS FIRST INDICTED LAST MARCH ON 16 COUNTS OF FELONY
ON 16 COUNTS OF FELONY DISORDERERLY CONDUCT.
DISORDERERLY CONDUCT. THOSE WERE DROPPED.
THOSE WERE DROPPED. CHICAGO MAYOR WADS OUTRAGED BY
CHICAGO MAYOR WADS OUTRAGED BY THIS.
THIS. HERE’S WHAT HE SAID IN MARCH.
HERE’S WHAT HE SAID IN MARCH. >> WITHOUT A DOUBT A WHITEWASH
>> WITHOUT A DOUBT A WHITEWASH OF JUSTICE AND SENDS A CLEAR
OF JUSTICE AND SENDS A CLEAR MESSAGE THAT IF YOU’RE IN THE
MESSAGE THAT IF YOU’RE IN THE POSITION OF INFLUENCE AND POWER,
POSITION OF INFLUENCE AND POWER, YOU’LL GET TREATED ONE WAY,
YOU’LL GET TREATED ONE WAY, OTHER PEOPLE WILL BE TREATED
OTHER PEOPLE WILL BE TREATED ANOTHER WAY.
ANOTHER WAY. >> ALL RIGHT, WHY WERE THE
>> ALL RIGHT, WHY WERE THE CHARGES DROPPED?
CHARGES DROPPED? WHAT HAPPENED IN MARCH?
WHAT HAPPENED IN MARCH? >> THIS WAS SO CONTROVERSIAL.
>> THIS WAS SO CONTROVERSIAL. CHARGES WERE DROPPED, AND
CHARGES WERE DROPPED, AND MEMBERS OF THE POLICE FORCE,
MEMBERS OF THE POLICE FORCE, THEY SAY WE DON’T THINK THE
THEY SAY WE DON’T THINK THE CHARGES SHOULD HAVE BEEN
CHARGES SHOULD HAVE BEEN DROPPED, WE HAVE THE GOODS AND
DROPPED, WE HAVE THE GOODS AND EVIDENCE.
EVIDENCE. IT LEFT A LOT OF QUESTIONS
IT LEFT A LOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT, WHY DID THIS PARTICULAR
ABOUT, WHY DID THIS PARTICULAR INDIVIDUAL HAVE THE CHARGES
INDIVIDUAL HAVE THE CHARGES DROPPED IF THE PD HAD STRONG
DROPPED IF THE PD HAD STRONG EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM FOR MAKING
EVIDENCE AGAINST HIM FOR MAKING FALSE STATEMENTS.
FALSE STATEMENTS. >> LET’S TALK ABOUT WHAT KIND OF
>> LET’S TALK ABOUT WHAT KIND OF EVIDENCE THIS IS BASED ON.
EVIDENCE THIS IS BASED ON. SMOLLETT CONTINUES TO DENY
SMOLLETT CONTINUES TO DENY ORCHESTRATING THE ATTACKS?
ORCHESTRATING THE ATTACKS? >> THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF
>> THERE MUST BE SOME KIND OF NEW EVIDENCE PENDING THE SHOW
NEW EVIDENCE PENDING THE SHOW THAT THE STATEMENTS HE GAVE WERE
THAT THE STATEMENTS HE GAVE WERE FALSE.
FALSE. THE INTERESTING THING, CPD
THE INTERESTING THING, CPD AUTHORITIES HAD TO REVERSE
AUTHORITIES HAD TO REVERSE INVESTIGATE.
INVESTIGATE. INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING
INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING CRIMINAL ACTIVETHY, THEY’RE
CRIMINAL ACTIVETHY, THEY’RE INVESTIGATING TO LOOK FOR
INVESTIGATING TO LOOK FOR WHETHER OR NOT HIS ORIGINAL
WHETHER OR NOT HIS ORIGINAL STATEMENTS ARE TRUE AND WHETHER
STATEMENTS ARE TRUE AND WHETHER THERE WAS A NONCRIME,
THERE WAS A NONCRIME, ESSENTIALLY.
ESSENTIALLY. >> FASCINATING.
>> FASCINATING. DOING THE WORK IN REVERSE.
DOING THE WORK IN REVERSE. HE’S APOLOGIZED, BUT HE
HE’S APOLOGIZED, BUT HE MAINTAINSMAIN
MAINTAINSMAIN TAINS HIS INNOCENCE.
TAINS HIS INNOCENCE. >> HASN’T ANYONE TOLD YOU IF YOU
>> HASN’T ANYONE TOLD YOU IF YOU GET IN A CAR ACCIDENT DON’T GET
GET IN A CAR ACCIDENT DON’T GET OUT AND SHOUT I’M SORRY.
OUT AND SHOUT I’M SORRY. SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT TRY TO USE
SOMEONE ELSE MIGHT TRY TO USE THAT AS AN ADMISSION.
THAT AS AN ADMISSION. WE HAVE A RULE IN EVIDENCE IN
WE HAVE A RULE IN EVIDENCE IN MOST STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS IF
MOST STATE AND FEDERAL COURTS IF YOU MAKE AN ADMISSION, THAT IS
YOU MAKE AN ADMISSION, THAT IS AN EXCEPTION TO THE HEARSAY
AN EXCEPTION TO THE HEARSAY RULE.
RULE. IF YOU SAY I’M SORRY OR
IF YOU SAY I’M SORRY OR APOLOGIZE THAT CAN BE DEPENDING
APOLOGIZE THAT CAN BE DEPENDING ON THE CONTEXT AN ADMISSION THAT
ON THE CONTEXT AN ADMISSION THAT COULD BE CON CLUESIVE PROOF THAT
COULD BE CON CLUESIVE PROOF THAT YOU DID WHAT YOU’RE ADMITS
YOU DID WHAT YOU’RE ADMITS MITTING YOU DID.
MITTING YOU DID. HE HAS COME OUT AND APOLOGIZE.
HE HAS COME OUT AND APOLOGIZE. TO WHAT DEGREE THAT COULD BE
TO WHAT DEGREE THAT COULD BE ADMISSIBLE AGAINST HIM?
ADMISSIBLE AGAINST HIM? YOU CAN’T DENY RESPONSIBLE AND
YOU CAN’T DENY RESPONSIBLE AND APOLOGIZE.
APOLOGIZE. SOMEONE DOWN THE ROAD MAY TRY TO
SOMEONE DOWN THE ROAD MAY TRY TO USE THAT AGAINST HIM.
USE THAT AGAINST HIM. >> IT IS GOOD TO KNOW,
>> IT IS GOOD TO KNOW, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’RE IN A CAR
ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’RE IN A CAR ACCIDENT.
ACCIDENT. >> I KNOW YOU LIKE TO DO
>> I KNOW YOU LIKE TO DO DOUGHNUTS IN THE SNOW.
DOUGHNUTS IN THE SNOW. DO NOT APOLOGIZE IF YOU GET IN
DO NOT APOLOGIZE IF YOU GET IN AN ACCIDENT.
AN ACCIDENT. >> AS SOMEONE WHO IS LIKE A
>> AS SOMEONE WHO IS LIKE A SERIAL APOLOGIZERS, I TEND TO
SERIAL APOLOGIZERS, I TEND TO APOLOGIZE FOR EVERYTHING.
APOLOGIZE FOR EVERYTHING. GOOD TO KNOW.
GOOD TO KNOW. IF THE COURT FIND THAT HE DID
IF THE COURT FIND THAT HE DID MAKE UP THE ATTACK, WHAT COULD
MAKE UP THE ATTACK, WHAT COULD HE BE FACING?
HE BE FACING? HOW SERIOUS?
HOW SERIOUS? >> DISORDERLY CONDUCT IS LIKE
>> DISORDERLY CONDUCT IS LIKE RAISING HECK OUTDOORS OR
RAISING HECK OUTDOORS OR SHOUTING.
SHOUTING. THIS CRIME IS DEFINED AS ALSO
THIS CRIME IS DEFINED AS ALSO MAKING FALSE STATEMENTS.
MAKING FALSE STATEMENTS. THE STATRY MAXIMUM IS NEVER A
THE STATRY MAXIMUM IS NEVER A GOOD MEASUREMENT FOR THE
GOOD MEASUREMENT FOR THE ULTIMATE SENTENCE SOMEONE IS
ULTIMATE SENTENCE SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET.
GOING TO GET. BUT IT WILL DEPEND ON HOW
BUT IT WILL DEPEND ON HOW ILLINOIS DOES THEIR SENTENCING
ILLINOIS DOES THEIR SENTENCING GUIDELINES AND WHAT HE’S
GUIDELINES AND WHAT HE’S CONVICTED OF AND MAY PLEAD
CONVICTED OF AND MAY PLEAD GUILTY TO AS PART OF THE DEAL.
GUILTY TO AS PART OF THE DEAL. >> FASCINATING CASE, HAS BEEN
>> FASCINATING CASE, HAS BEEN SINCE DAY ONE.
SINCE DAY ONE. THANKS FOR RUNNING US THROUGH

Share Video:

Embed Video: